There are many ways to be involved in your child's second grade experience. Volunteering is extremely rewarding for you, as well as exciting and beneficial for your child. Even if you are unavailable during the day, there are ways to contribute to your child's school experience.
Shortly after the school year begins, a 1H Room Representative will be chosen by the PTA. This person will be responsible for scheduling all 1H parent volunteers throughout the year. Together, the Room Rep and I will work to ensure an equal opportunity for all 1H parents, while meeting the volunteer needs of the classroom. Please take a moment to read the 1H Volunteer Guidelines before committing yourself to any of these jobs.
The list below highlights some of the ways you can become involved. All of these jobs are shared by all parents. Your Room Representative will be contacting you monthly about opportunities, or feel free to send me a note to let me know how you'd like to help! Thank you!
* Guest Reader: We have guest readers on Mondays and Fridays at 3:00-3:20pm. Readers bring 1-3 books (chosen with your child the night before) and read aloud to the children.
* Friday Folder Helper: This job can be done anytime between 1:00-3:15pm on Fridays and can take up to 45 minutes of your time depending on how many things need to be put into the folders.
* Scholastic Orders: This job can be done at home on a monthly basis. It involves tallying the order and counting money.
* Art Project Preparation: This job can be done in the classroom or at home. It can involve cutting large numbers of things, gluing, stapling, hole-punching, etc.
*Book Maker: This can be done in the classroom or at home. You would be making books in all sizes and shapes for our Writing Center.
* Class Photographer: Our photographer would need to come to our special events, take pictures, develop them and create some sort of display to hang in the classroom.
* Ellison Press and Laminating: This job is done at school, on an as-needed basis. I would show you how to use these machines.
* Extra Pair of Hands: This job is also done in the classroom, on an as-needed basis, during special projects and activities when we need many adults in the room to assist the students.
* Chaperones: We will need 3-6 chaperones to go with us on our field trips throughout the year. We go on approximately 4-6 trips a year.
* Art in the Classroom: This job is scheduled through the PTA Art in the Classroom Coordinator. It is done on a monthly basis in the classroom. Each month a particular artist/painting is featured. You would show the children the artist's work, teach them a little about the artist and do a related project.
* Environmental Awareness: This job is scheduled through the PTA Environmental Awareness Coordinator. It is done 2-3 times a year in the classroom and once at the Birdcraft Museum in Fairfield. It focuses on teaching the students about Food Chains and Adaptations. This job involves some training at the Audobon in Fairfield.
* Holiday Helpers: We will have several celebrations throughout the year. We will need people to bake, do crafts projects, run games, send in juice and paper goods, etc. at these parties.
* Birthday Guests: You are welcome to come in on your child's birthday and read a book or do a project- just contact me a few days in advance!
See you soon!
This website and all of its contents are the property of Mrs. Healey. Under no circumstances should any part of this website be copied, downloaded, or publicly presented without written permission from Mrs. Healey.